Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March Drill (Sunday)

So Sunday was our big hands on day. We did tons of classes on Saturday (see Saturday posting) so that we could just do hands on and get out as early as possible on Sunday. Our goal Sunday was to practice all of our bleeding control techniques, put IVs in each other and completer our AARs.

We woke up at 0445 and cleaned up the barracks. This went decently smoothly although I had to count our sheets three times because I found a pillowcase in one of the bundles during my first recount. That kinda sucked but it didn't take too much longer and we still were able to get our barracks totally squared away and had accountability for everyone a good half hour before the drill sergeants showed up.

After a quick breakfast in the chow hall we marched back to building 521 to begin practicing. We started with going over evaluating casualties and treating hemorrhaging, flail chests, etc. Then we had a long time to ask questions and go over mock situations which was very helpful. We also got to hear some more crazy stories from the medic which was cool.

We then had a pretty intense demonstration from the medics on how to put in an IV. They did it with a 14 gauge needle (which is big enough to fit an 18ga inside which is what they use when you give blood) so that we could see better. It bled a lot simply because it was so big and was dripping all down his arm. It was kinda gross and one kid started having problems due to seeing so much of it. Then, to illustrate the importance of taping down your IV line properly, she taped it to his arm and then started to throw the bag. Luckily it just bounced from the tape instead of yanking catheter out of his arm. It made one kid pass out though.

I asked Private Ware to stick me since she seems to be a very stable, steady person and I thought she'd be good at figuring it out. We were the second pair at our table and I ended up being right. She stuck me perfectly and barely made me bleed at all. It was pretty cool. She hooked me up to a 500mL bag of some Sodium Phosphate fluid or something that they use to rehydrate people. It was cool because it all just kinda drips in and you have to keep the bag held up high to keep enough pressure to put fluids into your vein instead of having the line and bag fill with blood. I don't know if it's a bad thing at all but I kinda thought it was fun to bring it up and down and watch the blood flow in and out of my arm. Kinda cool for some reason.

My bag finished emptying just in time to pull the catheter as all of the squad leaders left to my first ELP (Emerging Leaders Program) AAR (After Action Review for those who forgot). We went over how we did things and whether or not we did well in leading everyone and figuring out where everyone needed to be. One person who I didn't really know couldn't seem to shut up and made the AAR a bit of a mess but it was cool to be involved in the process. After AAR, PFC Gluch told me that I did well enough as squad leader that they want me coming to ELP from now on which is way cool. I don't know if they have enough spots to have me as a squad leader but PVT Majors was one and he just shipped so maybe I'll get a chance again. Either way, I'll get to go to ELP meetings and learn how they do things.

When we left ELP I got to start trying to stick people myself. The first guy I did already had two holes in him when I got to him and I only managed to stick another hole in him and couldn't get anything. The medic thought I was too nervous so he had me take a break and try again on someone else but I just couldn't see his veins. I also think I need to start eating with chop sticks because the way you have to hold those needles was kinda awkward and I wasn't very steady. I ended up missing on the second guy too but I was finally able to hit PFC Goodman and she said that no one has been able to successfully stick her before since she's so small (5'1" 111lb) PFC Goodman stuck me as well since I have such easy veins and she did really well. It bled quite a bit for some reason but it wasn't a painful stick at all. It actually hurt even less than PVT Ware's did on my other arm. For some reason both arms showed a bruise starting Tuesday or Wednesday but they were both very good sticks.

Once everyone successfully stuck somebody we did a quick AAR and we were able to get out around 1530. It was a great drill overall and I learned a ton about not only CLS duties but how to try to help lead people as well albeit in a limited leadership role. Very fun though and I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment