Tuesday, March 3, 2009

National Guard Punishment


I have to say, I love the way the Guard does things. The way we do discipline is great. As background our Staff Sergeant, Sgt Walls, is a woman a little unlike any I've ever met. She's incredibly thorough, super dedicated and a she certainly commands respect. She's very helpful to us and in return she asks for four things in a way that only she could. These are 1. Checking our mypay accounts, 2. Checking our GRAP accounts, 3. Checking our AKO accounts and most importantly, keeping her in the loop. Every month she calls us to make sure we're coming out to drill and got our drill letters and leaves the same message every month if we don't answer and tells us to call her back. She also checks the ADA County Sheriff website every day to make sure none of us got arrested and will call us if we didn't call her before she saw our picture on the site. Each drill at AAR we get to here her speech about keeping her in the loop, calling her back, etc. It's really not that hard and she's not a scary person but for some reason people don't do it. I don't get it.

We are also generally able to get out of drill for a while for things like dances and whatnot if we let them know ahead of time because it is understood that many of us are still in school and you can't get those experiences back. However, going along with Sgt. Walls's "keep me in the loop" mantra, we have to let them know ahead of time.

Three of our soldiers, who are referred to as the "Three Amigos" were all going to their school's "Sweetheart's" dance Saturday night during drill. However, they made the mistake of not telling our cadre until Friday. They were still allowed to go but they had the opportunity to pay for it.

Instead of doing something mundane like pushups the three amigos were required to carry around Slagathor (a fake Christmas tree w/lights), the Baseplate (a Christmas tree stand), and the Bombshell (a bowling-ball-sized river rock painted to look like a bomb with a fuse) for all of drill. During our class on tourniquets Slagathor inevitably started bleeding profusely and had to be fixed up, pictures of which will assuredly be in the next drill letter. We had a great time messing with them all of drill as they had to keep accountability of their items.

To cap it off, they had to take said items to the dance and get pictures of themselves and their dates with their items. Unfortunately, Slagathor, the Baseplate, and the Bombshell were not allowed into the dance due to their high schools apparent racism against green, gold, and fused people but they did get photographic evidence as instructed.

During AAR I asked MSG Gordley if their was any chance I could get those pictures for the blog. (I found out last month that they read the blog although I never even told them it existed. They are the government I guess. Luckily I honestly don't have anything bad to say about the Guard or my cadre so I didn't get myself busted in the three months of postings before I knew they read it.) He likes the blog so he made the three amigos get my email address and they were told to email me the picture so I will post that as soon as I get it from them. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself as well.
GOT THE PICTURES

No comments:

Post a Comment